Subject: Re: Slightly OT: MPS sound volume analyzer

Re: Slightly OT: MPS sound volume analyzer

From: Andreas Stemmer <groovingandi_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:52:18 +0200

Johan Vromans wrote:
> Does anyone know a Linux tool that analyses an MP3 file, and provides
> statistics on the average volume of the sound?

I don't know if this helps you, but the more or less best method of
calculating the perceived loudness of music is described here:

http://www.replaygain.org/

It's the same algorithm that is used by MP3Gain. New versions of LAME
add an appropriate id3 tag including the calculated replay gain value.
But I don't know any existing linux tool which does the analysis
afterwards.
Perhaps you can try to compile the command line version of mp3gain under
linux?

Andreas