Subject: Re: Voice entries and translations!?
From: Daniel Gudlat (
Date: 2004-04-07

Mats Lidell wrote:
> Daniel> So, in most cases it just contains the screen text, but
> Daniel> adjustments are made for things like units (mAh -> milli Amp
> Daniel> hours), abbreviations, or perhaps even quirks in the TTS
> Daniel> system used (e.g. speaking resume like resumé).
> So a reasonable approach is then to use the same string as for the
> native language for the voice entry? And when voice support for the
> particular language comes around then adjust the voice settings
> accordingly.

Yup (or just leave them empty for now and let whoever decides to make
the .voice file do all the work ;-). Except for one thing:

> (So uplang could even set the empty voice entries to the
> translated string if the voice entry is empty!?)

Not quite. The lang files contain quite a few strings that aren't
voiced, and you definitely want those voice entries to be empty to
prevent them from ending up in the .voice file.

> Curious: Is it possible to have one language for voice and another for
> text?

Yes, I don't see what would prevent you from, say, producing a
svenska.lang that has the voice entries from english.lang, run that
through an english TTS system, and end up with a svenska.voice that
talks english. Except that it would be mildly confusing.

Daniel Gudlat