Subject: Re: APEv2 tag support?
From: Magnus Holmgren (
Date: 2004-04-07

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Björn Stenberg wrote:

> Could you just tell us one thing: Why?
> In what way is the APEv2 tag so vastly superior to ID3v2.4 that
> foobar2k users are convinced the world is better with Yet Another Mp3
> Tag?

I don't know if it is superior, but it is simpler and more flexible. A bit
like Vorbis tags, if you're familiar with them.

What you have is a list of tags, with a name and a value (a=b), and you're
free to use whatever name you want (within a limited charset). The data
can be plain text (UTF-8 encoded) or binary data (so you can store images
if you really, really want to). Of course, for this to be useful, there
need to be some standard names, but a user can add any extra fields they

Magnus Holmgren