Subject: Re: multilingual voice UI
From: Daniel Gudlat (gudlat_at_web.de)
Date: 2004-04-08

arnaud wrote:

> I'd like to know if Rockbox already supports a multilingual voice
> interface, like I presume the "language" option for the scrren
> display.

As far as I know, starting with the daily builds from April 7, Rockbox
does support a multilingual voice interface.

> This is because I eventually plan to translate in french the voice
> interface.

Good. Ideally we should have .voice files for all, or at least most
major, languages supported by Rockbox.

> so.... , if you can give me some basic information about the process
> to create a .voice file.

Depends a bit on what OS you use. If it's Windows, Jörg is probably the
one to ask for specifics. If it's Linux or something similarly unixoid,
that would be me.

Generally speaking, you need a working text to speech system configured
for the language you want to use (SAPI compatible for Windows, Festival
for Linux/Unix), the lame mp3 encoder, and the platform specific tools
to generate the voice clips from the .lang file.

> btw.... there are in french as well as in other european countries
> some special characters such as accented characters.
> So I don't know if it can affect the interface in some way, but I
> suspect it may affect it because we will have to add some more
> characters in the voice file for spelling directories etc.

Good point. I don't know whether Jörg's deutsch.voice has the umlauts,
or whether the spelling code even supports anything but US ASCII. Jörg,
what's the current position on this?

> well.... I'm waiting for your suggestions, maybe I should wait a
> little bit before to begin to work on this...

Hmm, I'd suggest starting on this now, then come back here with any
problems you encounter. Voice files for both English and German already
exist, so a French one should be possible at least in principle (and
barring the above mentioned spelling issue).

Greetings,

--
Daniel Gudlat