Subject: Re: multilingual voice UI
From: Jens Arnold (arnold-j_at_t-online.de)
Date: 2004-04-08

>> btw.... there are in french as well as in other european
>> countries some special characters such as accented
>> characters. So I don't know if it can affect the interface in
>> some way, but I suspect it may affect it because we will have
>> to add some more characters in the voice file for spelling
>> directories etc.

> Good point. I don't know whether Jörg's deutsch.voice has the
> umlauts, or whether the spelling code even supports anything
> but US ASCII. Jörg, what's the current position on this?

There is one other area that came to my mind when considering
multilingual voice ui - the "number speaking" algorithm has to
be adapted to the language as well. Currently this is tailored
for English, so "61" would be correctly spoken "sixty one" in
English. But it would say "sechzig-eins" in German, which is
wrong - "einundsechzig" would be correct. I'm sure similar
issues exist in other languages.

Regards, Jens