Subject: Re: multilingual voice UI

Re: multilingual voice UI

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 13:10:10 +0200 (MEST)

> I'd like to know if Rockbox already supports a multilingual voice
> interface, like I presume the "language" option for the scrren
> display.

Yes, since a few days it does.
When you play a .lng file it looks for a matching .voice file. The selected
language is also internally remembered as a setting.
The wording for numbers will be wrong for many languages, especially french.
The number-to-words algorithm would need localization, I've ignored that for
now.
For example, in german we say 21 not as twenty-one, rather like
one-and-twenty.

> This is because I eventually plan to translate in french the voice
> interface.
> I talked to some other blind french friend and they are strongly
> interested if the Rockbox can speak french.

Sure, go ahead. This will work if you have a SAPI5 voice engine, or even
SAPI4 if you use TextAloud (like I did for the german voice file).

> so.... , if you can give me some basic information about the process
> to create a .voice file.

First, you need to update french.lang with the voice entries. Compare
english.lang and german.lang to see how that's done.
The tools you find in my webspace.

> btw.... there are in french as well as in other european countries
> some special characters such as accented characters.
> So I don't know if it can affect the interface in some way, but I
> suspect it may affect it because we will have to add some more
> characters in the voice file for spelling directories etc.

You'd need to write the voice entry in a way your TTS understands, that's
all. Characters can be as "bizarre" as necessary. ;-)

> well.... I'm waiting for your suggestions, maybe I should wait a
> little bit before to begin to work on this...

The time is perfect to start with it.

Jörg

--
NEU : GMX Internet.FreeDSL