Subject: Re: Different way of doing talkbox?
From: [IDC]Dragon (
Date: 2004-04-08

> I love talkbox, so please dont take this as a critisism of the new
> functions :)
> but, i am increasingly disliking all those dirname.mp3 files everywhere.

I'm very close to change that to ".dirname.tbx", before too many get used to
it. ;-)
Plus, you can hide it for Windows. In Rockbox, it won't show up as

> Wouldnt it be better to have a .rockbox/words directory, which contained a
> 'dictionary' of known words, like
> the.mp3
> streets.mp3
> and so on, which are 'stiched' together as needed, with it spelling out
> missing words,

Hmm, this would sound very robotic, no melody in the sentence. I guess you
haven't heared the AT&T voices, then?
But an interesting idea. Internally, this would require an extra thread that
loads/bitswaps/plays these words.
Depending on the count of words, we have an issue with cluster waste.

> Is it possible to join words in a precise enough way to make it sound
> good?

Probably yes. Depends on the foreground activity.

> I think that once the disk has spun up, and found the directory, it
> wouldnt take much longer to load 6 files than 1??? am i wrong?

No, the actual loading is pretty fast.

NEU : GMX Internet.FreeDSL
Ab sofort DSL-Tarif ohne Grundgebühr: