Subject: Re: Different way of doing talkbox?
From: Brian Wolven (brian.wolven_at_verizon.net)
Date: 2004-04-08

[IDC]Dragon wrote:

>>I love talkbox, so please dont take this as a critisism of the new
>>functions :)
>>
>>but, i am increasingly disliking all those dirname.mp3 files everywhere.
> I'm very close to change that to ".dirname.tbx", before too many get used to
> it. ;-)
> Plus, you can hide it for Windows. In Rockbox, it won't show up as
> supported.

I think that's a good move, personally. You get my vote. I'm afraid I'll
have to change three characters in my script though - tough job. =)

>>Wouldnt it be better to have a .rockbox/words directory, which contained a
>>'dictionary' of known words, like
>>the.mp3
>>streets.mp3
>>
>>and so on, which are 'stiched' together as needed, with it spelling out
>>missing words,
>
> Hmm, this would sound very robotic, no melody in the sentence. I guess you
> haven't heared the AT&T voices, then?
> But an interesting idea. Internally, this would require an extra thread that
> loads/bitswaps/plays these words.
> Depending on the count of words, we have an issue with cluster waste.

The existing VBScript and unix shell scripts could easily be modified to
create such a list - all words that appear in a directory and or
filename. I'd have to try it and see how many words that turned out to
be. More than the current set of letters and numbers used in the spell
option, that's for sure.

>>Is it possible to join words in a precise enough way to make it sound
>>good?
>
> Probably yes. Depends on the foreground activity.
>
>>I think that once the disk has spun up, and found the directory, it
>>wouldnt take much longer to load 6 files than 1??? am i wrong?
>
> No, the actual loading is pretty fast.

Interesting concept.