Subject: DirectShow and .avis, investigations on resizing too...
From: Joseph Jones (joe_at_bumpycarrot.cjb.net)
Date: 2004-04-13

Since I've been at my parents, I used their Windows box to try out the
DirectShow filter.

Firstly, I can't don't seem to be able to convert .avi files :/ It opens
a window that *slowly* plays the file instead. Anybody else having this
problem?

Secondly. as I mentioned in another post, the quality seems to be down
on my previous .rvfs with the old tools. I thought it might have
something to do with either the resizing or the grayscaling, as those
were functions I had previously done with VirtualDub.

So I did some tests processing the same video firstly by grayscaling it
and then again by resizing it, both in VirtualDub. Unfortunately I had
to use a trialware program for converting to mpg, which scaled it back *up*.

However, it seems that the closer the original file is to the output
resolution the better. Is there a freeware tool that can be used to
resize mpegs? Then I can confirm this.

Joe