Subject: Re: using excel to manage mp3's

Re: using excel to manage mp3's

From: (wrong string) ürgen Hestermann <juergen.hestermann_at_gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:01:54 +0200

>>> I just spent an entire day exporting my mp3's to Excel, deciding what of my
>>> 50gig collection i wanted on my jukebox and then figuring out how to use vis
>>> basic to copy the files.
>>> Anyone got a better way?
>> I am not quite sure what task exactly you want to perform but for file management
>> nothing beats Ztree (www.ztree.com), especially,
>> if you did know already its predecessor Xtree on DOS.
> Begware. Forgetaboutit!!!

It's worth every cent! You can try it for 30 days.

I don't know any other program that can handle millions of file (names) in such an
easy way. But, of course, beside it is shareware you also will have a learning curve
if you are not used to Xtree from DOS times.

I can log a whole drive (no matter how large) just by typing an asterisk (*) while
on the root of this drive. This also works on every other directory and will log the
whole branch downwards. A 'B' (for [b]ranch) shows all files in all these subdirectories
in one flat list. You can tag each file (or a bunch of files), go back to tree view, go to
another directory, tag other files and so on. These tags are not lost when moving to
other directories, they are persistent. A simple Ctrl+G brings up a list of *all* tagged
files which you can then copy/move/delete/rename or whatever.

I can rename all files of my whole archos in one step (search_and_replace, add
sequential numbers, remove characters) even in one step when copying/moving.

I can't live without it.
The most powerful file manager I ever saw.

Jürgen.