Subject: Re: new extension for talkbox directory clip: ".dirname.tbx"

Re: new extension for talkbox directory clip: ".dirname.tbx"

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:22:14 +0200

[IDC]Dragon wrote:
> I'm missing the insight on what this limitation is.
> What's the Windows problem with the dot at the beginning?

It simply doesn't support it. You can't rename a file ".foo" or ".foo.bar". It will protest and say "you must type a filename", which in Microsoft-land means "characters to the left of the first period".

To be fair, I think the limitation is "only" in the Explorer component/program and not in Windows as a whole. Filenames starting with a period can be created from the command line, and one created all programs normally support them. However since Explorer is very central to Microsoft Windows, for all intents and purposes most Windows users will have problems manipulating filenames starting with a period.

I think using underscore instead is a good solution.

--
Björn