Subject: Re: 8MB buffered hard drive could do?

Re: 8MB buffered hard drive could do?

From: roland <for_spam_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:34:51 +0200

hi!
i`m not really sure, but afaik this has been discussed and the problem is:
rockbox shuts down the hdd to save power - and to really save enough power,the drive
is put into a "deep" sleep mode which usually results in the interal disk-cache being
cleaned. so it cannot be used for buffering.
putting it into a "not so deep" power-save-mode to preserve the cache-contents would
result in an overall bigger power consumption - bigger than that, what is saved from
the fewer disk spinups as a result of the 8mb cache...

maybe somebody can confirm what i said?

regards
roland