Subject: Re: Power options
From: [IDC]Dragon (idc-dragon_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-04-15

> After searching high & low for miss water buffalo I have found the path to
> the power option. It is:
>
> general settings/display/peak meter/performance.

This is a very stupid option. It only (mildly) affects an update rate,
doesn't do anything "real" with the power. I vote for removing it.

In general, the potential for power savings due to less CPU utilization is
small. I measured this a couple of weeks ago, made a "freeze" plugin which
sends the CPU to sleep and disables all interrupts, to get the bottom
figure. The unit consumed 3mA less than normally, iirc. Fully driving it
busy makes it consume ~3 mA more, so this is the small corridor: The idle
consumption is ~60mA, +/- 3 mA. Other factors are more dominant than the CPU
load.

You save quite a bit by really shutting off the disk instead of sending it
to sleep (only possible with the AA-cell Recorders). This does 20mA for my
disk, iirc. But the spinup is slower.

Jörg

--
NEU : GMX Internet.FreeDSL