Subject: Re: multilingual voice UI
From: David H. Straayer (
Date: 2004-04-15

I propose that we use the ICAO phonetic alphabet in all languages.

It simplifies the language issue, and communicates numbers in an
internationally standardized way. [if English based :) ]

91 would be pronounced "Nine-er One" in all languages, just as it is
pronounce by Air France pilots landing in Quebec. ;-)

Dave Straayer
(who teaches his math students to pronounce numbers on a digit-by-digit