Subject: Re: Win32 Simulator and Tools Build
From: BlueChip (
Date: 2004-04-16

At 09:28 15/04/04, you wrote:

> > You need the following packages to build the win32 simulator on cygwin:
> > binutils
> > gcc
> > gcc-mingw
> > mingw-runtime
> > w32api
> >
>Thank you, now it works perfectly. (win2k)
>BlueChip: I think a devkit with gcc included would be very nice, since the
>"download tools and extract" step wouldn't be needed any
>more, and of course if you are start working with rockbox, you haven't to
>copy to your arcos everytime you try something.
>Mybe you could add the text above (needed packages) to the docs/build
>win32 ui simulator, I will not be the last asking that :-)

aha - you've got the wrong guy ;) ...well sorta.

The devkit on the website is (from memory) quite a struggle to get to work
- and (again from a distant memory) you need a tackle the cygwin
"installer" (<shudders at the thought>)

The devkit was originally made by "roland", he and I started working on the
new one, but life took him elsewhere and the last remaining trouble has not
been "fixed properly" ...I just addded a work-around - hence the new
all-in-one-magic-four-click-install-rockbox-devkit has kind of ended up in

That said, if you want the web site updated neither roland nor myself can
help, I guess anybody here with an "" email address would be the
right person to talk to? :)

If you want the "new" windows devkit (complete with win98 buglet/annoyance)
just ask :)
If anyone wants to donate some web-space... even better still, I've emailed
out about 6 of them in the last few days and got glowing reports of success
back fom everybody (thanks guys (you know who you are))