Translations

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Standard play interface

Standard play interface

From: Peter van Hardenberg <pvh_at_uvic.ca>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:42:04 -0700

It seems to me that there are several different opinions running around
about how songs should be queued up on the rockbox. They are as follows:

"Things are fine. Use the customizable menus when they are done."
"Re-allocate play/forward to allow customization."
and (my own opinion)
"Play should have a quick-menu associated with it, and play should _play_
a directory (forward to enter it.)"

I wanted to get my own ideas out there into the forum so that they could
be considered.

The reason for this suggestion is simple. When I'm driving, I want my
passengers to be able to run the rockbox without close supervision. I find
the current implementation is very confusing to newbies, mostly because
the playlist is so tricky to understand.

Play on non-song/directory: Launch associated plugin (where applicable).
Press and release play:
        Plays the currently selected song/directory.
        NOTE: Playing a whole directory is only accomplished by hitting play on
the directory.
Forward on directory: Enter the directory
Forward on song: Add song to tail of playlist
Press play for a moment longer: Show this menu.

           Insert
              ^

    Insert Play Insert
  << Next > Last >>

            Queue

On-Play: Show a menu of file-system options.
        File Info (ID3/or whatever)
        Rename

LinusN has told me that he dislikes the idea of a quick-menu on Play,
because he hates waiting to see menus. I see that as an implementation
problem (getting the timing right), but here is my idea in more detail.

I realise there are probably some issues with this idea, but I think it is
the least difficult to use on a day-to-day basis. Perhaps it could be
further combined with the patch that is circulating right now to make the
default play behaviour one of the other options.

I welcome your ideas on how to improve on this, as I am already part-way
into the implementation.

Cheers,
-pvh