Subject: Re: AW: Power options
From: [IDC]Dragon (idc-dragon_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-04-18

> I wonder if there's a way to have the disk spinup at a slower rate than
> usual ?
> I guess that energy consumption is related to the acceleration rate during
> the spinup phase, so spinning up at a slower rate might help save a few
> watts (just a guess, don't beat me if that's plain dumb).

Physically speaking, it doesn't matter how fast or slow you speed up the
disk. It takes the same energy. Faster spinup means higher power for a
shorter time.
The energy depends on the disk RPM (this is why 4200 RPM drives are to be
preferred) and the inertia of the rotating part. So a disk with only 1
platter may be better than a high-capacity disk with 2 platters.

Just my $0.02,
Jörg

--
NEU : GMX Internet.FreeDSL