Subject: Re: french voice updated

Re: french voice updated

From: arnaud <netcava_at_club-internet.fr>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:53:42 +0200

>> Actually, it now uses IBM Viavoice Outloud for the voice, I really
>> prefer it, at least it pronounces all the stuff the same.
>
>I don't know this program, so I can't comment on the input it needs.

it's actually a speech engine
Sapi 4 compatible.

I use a shareware called textsound to batch convert text files to wav,
it's more stable and maybe faster than Textaloud

>I have a "lang2textaloud" program in my webspace to make a TextAloud input
>file. This is my "older style" of generating these, and still my fallback
>for SAPI4 voices (like the only german one I have). The newer program
>"lang2wav" does directly generate a bunch of wav files, using the configured
>default SAPI5 voice. No need for scripting then. (Well, I use a cmd file
>afterwards for the batch encoding.)

yes I have seen.
Have to check your lang2textaloud program to see how it operates.

>> btw... where can I find the latest version of the english.lang file?
>
>Always in cvs. You can do a read-only access to Sourceforge, or simple
>download a source tarball from the daily build page.

ok.
Sorry for my ignorance on this, I don't know the Open Source way of
doing / sharing things :-)

>> I wrote Jörg but I guess he's maybe in vacation or he's busy doing
>> something else.
>
>I think I answered you...
>You're right, I have been on a short trip the last 2 days.

no problem

>> btw....
>> I don't know how to represent accented characters for the spelling in
>> the francais.lang file.
>
>Ah, you meant the spelling when asking for accents, now I understand. This
>is not possible because the code only spells A-Z and numbers. You can't
>simply introduce new voice IDs in the language file, Rockbox has to use
>those, too. I don't want to localize the code itself, so this is currently
>inresolved. (Like the number composition.)

ok

>Can you submit your francais.lang file as a patch, so you changes can go
>into the official version?

ok. I guess I really have to register on sourceforge to do this?

Have a nice day.