Subject: Re: new recorder 20, bad sectors
From: Jens Arnold (arnold-j_at_t-online.de)
Date: 2004-04-20

> Scandisk can't fix bad sectors. All it can do is to prevent
> the file system from using them. A new hard disk shouldn't
> have sector errors in the first place.

> (Or have I just been lucky to never have seen sector errors at
> all on any of my hard disks? Anyone?)

You are right - a new hard drive should never have bad sectors
*that are visible to the user*, that is from scandisk etc.

*Every* hard drive, even if it is brand new, actually has a
number of bad sectors, but these are mapped out internally by
the drive controller. There are 2 internal defects lists: the
"primary defects list" and the "grown defects list". Both lists
can be read out and shown with some tools, at least with SCSI
disks.

If you see bad sectors with an operation system tool, this means
that the internal "grown defects lists" already ran full, so
further defects cannot be mapped out any more, which means that
the disk has a real hardware problem.

So I would try to get a replacement if a new drive shows this
behaviour unless it would have been my fault (dropped drive to
the floor or such).

Regards, Jens