Subject: Re: 1,8" HDD for ajb ?
From: roland (for_spam_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-04-22

> The Player/Recorder models use the battery voltage directly, not so easy
> there.
we would need an additional dc/dc-converter, right ?
these exist in form of integrated circuits and have very few power consumption.

these ones
http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/725
seem to be too "weak" for doing their job in an archos (hdd needs more current),
but maybe someone knows a cheap, powerful, low-power 5.0->3.3V converter-ic ?

i think it`s difficult to give an estimation, how much power is being saved and
how much more runtime an ajb would get - but if it`s >3-4 hrs additional runtime,
i would probably buy such disk.
i did a quick compare - and it seems this hdd (at 3.3V) consumes half of the power
of an ordinary 2.5" hdd
so i think it`s worth to discuss further - isn`t it ?
changing the hdd to this model should probably give a SIGNIFICANT runtime benefit,
imho.

regards
roland