Subject: Re: 1,8" HDD for ajb ?
From: roland (
Date: 2004-04-22

> The Player/Recorder models use the battery voltage directly, not so easy
> there.
we would need an additional dc/dc-converter, right ?
these exist in form of integrated circuits and have very few power consumption.

these ones
seem to be too "weak" for doing their job in an archos (hdd needs more current),
but maybe someone knows a cheap, powerful, low-power 5.0->3.3V converter-ic ?

i think it`s difficult to give an estimation, how much power is being saved and
how much more runtime an ajb would get - but if it`s >3-4 hrs additional runtime,
i would probably buy such disk.
i did a quick compare - and it seems this hdd (at 3.3V) consumes half of the power
of an ordinary 2.5" hdd
so i think it`s worth to discuss further - isn`t it ?
changing the hdd to this model should probably give a SIGNIFICANT runtime benefit,