Subject: Re: System Tray USB Icon
From: Fred Maxwell (rockbox_at_anti-spam.org)
Date: 2004-04-23

Glenn Ervin at Home wrote:

> I really don't think that there is a printer made that can keep up with the
> speed of the data sent through a parallel cable.

An EPP parallel port has a typical transfer rate on the order of 500KB/S
to 2MB/S. By the time you add the printer command language overhead,
the protocol overhead, and the graphical data to be printed, etc., you
can find many printers which are print-speed limited by the interface.
In fact, I've worked with printers which have dual interfaces -- USB and
Parallel -- and have noted shorter between-page pauses on
graphics-intensive pages when using the USB interface.

You need to consider that printers can assert a "busy" signal while
their processors are busy. You can't dump data to them continuously, so
the faster you transfer data while the window of opportunity is there,
the lower the chance you will be in a situation where the printer is
waiting for data.

Regards,
   Fred Maxwell