Subject: Re: Searching for flash chip

Re: Searching for flash chip

From: Andreas Stemmer <groovingandi_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:29:15 +0200 (MEST)

[IDC]Dragon wrote:
> > [IDC]Dragon, where did you find yours?
>
> Frankly, I don't know where it came from. I used my companies' logistics
> order samples. But it was a real pain, don't ask me to do that again.
> Best source is probably a broken box.

Thank you for the quick answer. I found a source in UK
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/forsale.html
Probably the shipping is much more expensive than the chip itself, but it's
better than nothing.

> > And, second question: is it enough to program the flash externally with
> > the image (.bin) which is included in the first-flash-package or is
> > there anything else that has to be done?
>
> In principle this will do, but one important extra:
> You have to patch in your h/w mask value, the bytes at offset 0xFC and
> 0xFD of your flash dump.
> You can program the chip internally if you have a box with boot ROM. I've
> soldered mine in blank.

But then I need to do the UART boot mod, right? But this is perhaps less
work than soldering an adaptor for the programmer.
My HW info screen says ROM CRC: 0x222F V1, this means that I have a box with
boot ROM if I interpret your flashing descriptiom correctly.

Thank you for your help,
Andreas