Subject: Re: Calculator plugin for recorder is underway.

Re: Calculator plugin for recorder is underway.

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:12:07 +0200

Fred Maxwell wrote:
> In the last post, you stated that the plug-in interface was added
> specifically so that non-core functionality could be done as plug-ins rather
> than being always present. Now we've got a voice UI, which is certainly not
> a core feature that will be used by most people. So I'm not following why
> it would it "be a huge waste of resources" to improve the plug-in interface
> so that the voice UI (or other alternative output methods) could be a
> plug-in.

I can only speak for myself, but the main resource I'm talking about is
my (very limited) spare time. Extending the plugin interface to allow
for the implementation of talking UI will be quite difficult, to say the
least. The core code will certainly not benefit from it, being even more
complicated, and probably even larger than with the voice UI built-in.

But as always, you are free to have a go at it and submit a patch.

Linus