Subject: RE: Archos talking directory items
From: Aman Singer (aman_at_asinger.net)
Date: 2004-04-27

Hi.
        I'm not sure what you mean by directory items, but if you mean
folder names, this is quite possible.

        There are three ways to get the folder names talking. You can have
them announced by number (folder 1, folder 2, etc), have them spelled
audibly, (M U S I C), or have them announced through recorded clips. To have
them announced by number or spelled, simply change the setting in menu
/>general settings/> voice. There's an option called "voice directories".
You can set it to off, numbers, spell, on enter, or while hovering. The last
two options relate to voice clips, but the first three don't need voice
clips.
        If you want your directory names spoken as words, rather than
spelled or given numbers, you need to know that rockbox doesn't have any TTS
capabilities. It wants to see a file called
        .dirname.tbx
        in the folder. That .dirname file contains the name of the folder in
MP3 format. One of the rockbox programmers has released a script to create
these .dirname.tbx files automatically see

http://rockbox.haxx.se/mail/archive/rockbox-archive-2004-03/1349.shtml
        to get that script and
         http://www.mp3-tech.org/software/encoders/lamewin32.exe
        to get the lame executable which it requires. Install lame, copy
lame.exe and the mp3clipgen.vbs script you get from the first link above to
the same directory, then run the mp3clipgen.vbs script. You will be asked to
enter the folder where all your music is stored. Enter the path to your
jukebox (make sure it's connected). That is, if your jukebox is drive letter
J:, enter
        j:\
        and hit enter. The script should, in a few minutes, give you a
success message.
        Disconnect the jukebox and reboot it as usual. You'll need to set
the voice directories option alluded above to while hovering or on enter,
depending on whether you want your directories spoken when you enter them
with play or right arrow, or as you hover over them.
        Aman