Subject: Re: Calculator plugin for recorder is underway.
From: Björn Stenberg (
Date: 2004-04-28

Fred Maxwell wrote:
> I will go a bit further and say that *anything* not directly related to core
> audio player functionality should be a plug-in that one has to *add*, not
> something that has to be actively removed.

This is already the case today. Rockbox plugins are code that grabs the user interface and performs a single isolated task for the user. Such as a game, a text reader or a calendar.

Speech is core interface code, similar in purpose to the code that draws text to the screen. It cannot be moved to a plugin, since it has to run in parallell with the menus and other core code.