Subject: RE: FMR/V2 battery faq draft
From: scott (die_pokemon_die123_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 2004-04-30

--- Aman Singer <aman_at_asinger.net> wrote:
> *AS, question, can putting the batteries in the wrong way destroy the unit?

probably, but i'm not about to test it out :-).

> several more questions. First, will Archos replace the battery?

no (wasn't that in A2?), unless you're under warranty and want to ship them the whole unit back.

> Secondly, since the 8 MB mod will extend life, is there anyone who will do the mod for people?

i believe i read that newmp3technology.com was doing it for someone.

> Thirdly, what happens if the battery dies and the unit is playing?
> Does it have an orderly shut down mechanism or something?

it just shuts down the same way it would if you held off, AFAIK

updated faq attached.

-scott

Q1. What kind of batteries are in my V2/FMR?
A1. They are 2200 mAh LiIon rechargeable batteries. Specifically, it is two 1100 mAh LiIon
cells in parallel, physically taped together.

Q2. Can I change the batteries?
A2. Yes, if you can find replacements. Archos does not sell them. One site that does is: http://www.pdainternalbattery.com/archospdabattery.html. Alternately, there are companies who make replacement battery assemblies that might be able to help.

Q3. Ok, I got a replacement, now how do I put it in?
A3. Remove the two small screws on the top of your V2/FMR, and pry the lid off. Now turn it upside down and shake it a little. It should just slide out. Take note of the position it's in, and put the replacement in the same way. Replace the cover.

Q4. How long should fully charged batteries run for?
A4. It depends on how you use it. If you're doing hard drive intensive activities like formatting or transfering large amounts of data, probably only a few hours. If you're only using it as an mp3 player it will depend on the bitrate of the mp3s. Playing 128kbit mp3s, it should last around 8 hours. Playing lower quality recordings (32-64kbit) like audio books it could be more like 12 or 14. Playing very high quality files (256kbit+) it could be more like 4 or 6 hours. Also, doing the 8MB RAM mod will significantly increase battery life.

Q6. How long does it take to fully charge the battery?
A6. About 50% charge is applied in the first hour. The rest takes up to 3
more hours.

Q7. I want/need a replacement charger. What kind should I get?
A7. Any charger that's 6V, 700mAh, and positive center will work.

Q8. I've heard about options like deep discharge, but can't find them in the menu. Where are they?
A8. These options are for the recorder (V1) only. Charging for the recorders is done by software, but charging of the V2/FMR is controlled completely by hardware.

Q9. Can the FMR/V2 charge its batteries through the USB port?
A9. Yes, though slowly since USB is limited to 500 mA. Charging is reduced or
eliminated when the FMR/V2 is connected through a passive hub. If a PCMCIA USB
adapter is being used in a laptop or similar device, it is very important to
connect the external power supply if one is provided. The PCMCIA port cannot
supply sufficient power by itself. The Belkin USB 2.0 adapter, for example,
comes with a "wall wart" power supply that can be plugged into the PCMCIA
card.