Subject: Re: Suggestion: Talking dirs w/o .dirname possible ?

Re: Suggestion: Talking dirs w/o .dirname possible ?

From: Daniel Gudlat <gudlat_at_web.de>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 09:54:38 +0200

Matthias.Klumpp_at_gmx.de wrote:
> Creating that .dirname.tbx takes really a lot of time, as I found out
> yesterday ;-))

It does!? For my 10 GB of music organized in Genre/Artist/Album format
and on my not exactly top-of-the-line 733 Mhz P3 under Linux it takes
considerably less than 5 minutes for a complete run, far less on updates
when only the missing files are generated, don't know about the windows
TTS programs, though.

> Would it be possible to NOT use that .dirname files and let the voice
> feature pronounce the dirs (me personally I could accept any loss of
> pronuciation quality) ?

Nope, spelling the file name is all you can get that way. This is
also possible right now, AFAIK.

> Following suggestions, if that is not possible:
>
> Why not storing all language specific voice files according to all laguages
> contained in your dir names (e.g. German, English, Spanish music dirs, so
> you store all of these 3 voice files to the AJB).
>
> We specify a tag in the directory names (e.g. G=german at the end, like
> "Phil Collins - Face Value - G"). The talking dirs could evaluate that tag,
> use the corresponding voice file and then pronounce the directory name (not
> simply spelling it).
>
> Would that be a possible way ?

It would, possibly. It also strikes my as too much pain for too little
gain. And that is ignoring all the issues about keeping those files up
to date. Plus, you'd still need to generate those files, which would
take even longer than generating the .dirname.tbx files due to the
additional work of building the search index for the file containing all
those clips. Or did I misunderstand you here?

Unless you constantly rename your directories, generating the
.dirname.tbx files is a once-in-a-lifetime operation. So if you insist
on your dir names being pronounced the linguistically correct way (me, I
can live with the slight mangling of the Spanish and German directory
names that I get when using the English Festival voice), you could just
manually generate the .dirname.tbx file with the proper TTS system for
the directories in question...

Remember, you only have to generate the .dirname.tbx file *once*.

Greetings,
--
Daniel Gudlat