Subject: Re: Skip, Skip, Skip...

Re: Skip, Skip, Skip...

From: Vladimir Pantelic <pan_at_nt.tu-darmstadt.de>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 16:53:42 +0200

Nick Brodich wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> This is my first post. I first want to say how amazed I am to have had the fortune to stumble
> upon the whole Rockbox phenomenon. You guys are awesome. I just recently downloaded Rockbox and
> have been quite impressed. The focus of this question is regarding the skip protection.
>
> My main use of my Studio 10 if for tunes when I am riding my motorcycle. Needless to say, I as
> quite disappointed when I first purchased my Archos because there was no skip protection. With
> Rockbox, I can choose up to 7 sec of skip protection. Unfortunately, at highway speeds, this
> doesn't seem to be enough. Are there any suggestions for how to make my Studio 10 stand up to
> even more vibration?

Yes, you have to get a hard drive that can withstand more physical "shock" or to find a way to
carry your Archos so that it receives less shock.

> Also, once it starts to skip, it stays off until I pull over and restart it. Is there a way to
> have it immediately re-engage after a bout of the skips?

Hard drives have built-in "shake" detection and even turn themselves off to protect themselves,
it is up to the drive whether and for how long it does that. Even with the longest skip protection,
if you shake the drive to much it will stop working. And of course when you shock it too much there
is danger of damage to the drive/data, so I would try to prevent the shock in the first place.

Regards,

Vladimir