Subject: Re: Suggestion: Talking dirs w/o .dirname possible ?
From: Brian Wolven (
Date: 2004-05-03 wrote:

>> wrote:
>>>Creating that .dirname.tbx takes really a lot of time, as I found out
>>>yesterday ;-))
>>It does!? For my 10 GB of music organized in Genre/Artist/Album format
>>and on my not exactly top-of-the-line 733 Mhz P3 under Linux it takes
>>considerably less than 5 minutes for a complete run, far less on updates
>>when only the missing files are generated, don't know about the windows
>>TTS programs, though.
> I was manually recording the .dirname files. Means I was reading and
> speaking while recording every single .dirname file. That's why it took a
> long time. If I understand you correctly there is a tool that creates the
> .dirname's ?
> Do you know such a tool for Windows ?

An anglo-centric VBScript, using Microsoft's SAPI5 TTS engine and the
lame encoder (,
can be found at

Just drag your music folder onto the script and it will recursively
process your whole folder hierarchy. The voice used to 'speak' the
folder names is the one you have selected via the 'Speech' applet in the
control panel.