Subject: Re: DC power overheat

Re: DC power overheat

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 16:53:11 +0100

I often left my JBR20 hooked upto the mains, especially when transferring
files on/off.
Within minutes the thing is so hot you could fry an egg on it <comedic
exaggeration>
I am sure that this, along with falling asleep with the unit on repeat, is
what fried my batteries.
My batteries need charging daily now, more than 24-48hrs of disuse, you can
guarantee that they'll be flat again.
The unit shows 100% within a couple of hours of charging (not timed), and
even when the ARCHOS charge sreen says "charged" - the life span of the
batteries is about 2-3hrs.
Rockbox will tick down the power to about 85% and die - which forces the
HDD to make some VERY unhealthy noises.
I'm not sure whether I'm too stupid or too lazy, but I have yet to read the
battery FAQ, and all my charge options are default.
There was also chat recently about over-current'ed DC supplies ...As this
breaches my former knowledge of power supplies, it's tricky to comment in
depth - but future protection could perhaps be achieved by putting an
external voltage regulator between your archos and the DC power, you could
train monkeys to fit them (externally) and they're pretty cheap (guess 50p..£2)

So you are not the only person with ovr-heating problems.

Blu Ch p