Subject: RE: Possible disk problem
From: [IDC]Dragon (idc-dragon_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-05-05

> A progress bar is in the middle of the screen and it goes about
> half way then stops. I hear a clicking for a while then the
> clicking stops. I don't hear the drive spin up. There is no
> error message. It just hangs with the progress bar about half
> way across the screen. The green and red LED both come on at
> power up then the green LED stays on.
>
> Is the drive suppose to spin up when the power is first turned
> on or sometime after that first screen and progress bar?

Yes, the drive should spin up immediately.

> I don't think it's a battery problem because I took them out and
> used a regulated power supply in their place.
> If it is a drive problem, is there a way to test it?

You could take the disk out and try it on an IDE or USB adapter. Or whatever
you find to plug it to. It's a standard 2.5" notebook drive.

> If it is a dead drive, what is the best replacement for it?

My personal recommendation is Fujitsu, when I was shopping for a 60 GB drive
a good year ago those were the most quiet and also have low power
consumption. Big difference to the stock Hitachi drive, which I can hear
clicking all the way across the room. Two friends have Toshiba, which is
also significantly more noisy, but their new 100 GB drive may be different.
The Fujitsu is barely audible.

Jörg