Subject: progress with my car CD changer emulation plugin

progress with my car CD changer emulation plugin

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 11:27:04 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

I've done some changes to the plugin API recently, to allow a plugin to be a
TSR (terminate and stay resident). It can spawn a thread, which gives it a
life after it has returned control to Rockbox. And I have added some
mpeg_xxx() functions for playback control.

My Alpine CD changer emulation plugin is using this now, works out quite
nice. Once the plugin is started, you can choose your music with the normal
browser, plus control the playback from the radio. Currently, I support
next/prev track, play/pause/stop, and seeking.

The side effects of using Rockbox from two ends are less than I thought. The
while-playing screen behaves very well, shows all the changes which were
done from the radio (looks ghostly). Radio playback control also works
outside of the WPS, so this is better than the normal remote.
The radio is currently a bit insisting, when you stop the playback at the
box, the radio will start it again as long as it is in play mode itself.

My current status is here:
http://joerg.hohensohn.bei.t-online.de/archos/alpine_cdc/
You need a daily build with the recent plugin API to use it.

This is not the final version, I will update it more during the next days,
but I already felt like sharing it and collecting feedback.

I'm not in the business about other brand protocols. If "your" protocol is
not single-wire, you'd need an external controller to translate. Several
individuals/groups are working on such, my plugin could still serve as a
template for Rockbox interfacing. I once made a proposal for a generic
command set using the remote pin as halfduplex serial.

Here's my old postings about the Alpine hookup in general:
http://rockbox.haxx.se/mail/archive/rockbox-archive-2003-11/0476.shtml
http://rockbox.haxx.se/mail/archive/rockbox-archive-2004-01/0778.shtml

Jörg

--