Subject: Re[2]: Hard Disk Question

Re[2]: Hard Disk Question

From: RudiS <mailmetorudiS_at_gmx.ch>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 10:43:11 -0400

Hi Linus,

So you mean, that is not the altitude, that effects my JB in that
way? Hm, I thought that is the altitude, because I have more "hangs"
if I climb up from 3800m to 4700m than the way down. But may be you
are right, because my JB is fixed in my 4x4 Truck and in Northern
Chile the roads are very rough and sandy ...

Ok, another harddrive, that's what I thought too, when I open up that
thread. Is there a good choice especially for my JB? I have
another 40GB Hitachi /IBM, but Hitachi isn't the right choice, or
depends on the model itself? Power consumption and switching on
current are important too, I guess.
So lets see, if the daily build improves a bit my situation, I report
it here for all of you guys.

Last week I had to open up my JB, because some tea has found it's way
into it and was blocking some of the push buttons. I was really
surprised about the bad soldering quality of that tiny machine. This I
could do it even better. The Label says "Made in China".... hm :-) But
that Archos hasn't got a good hand to choose that type of harddisk as
the standard one, surprised me even more. Did you guys changed all
your harddrives already?

Thanks Linus, for your help.
RudiS

Am Freitag, 7. Mai 2004 um 01:50 schrieben Sie:

LNF> RudiS wrote:

>> Sorry, couldn't answer much earlier,
>> Here the output from the disk debug menu:
>> Model
>> HITACHI_DK23DA-20

LNF> This is your problem. You have a hard disk that is sensitive to shock,
LNF> and sometimes hangs for long periods (typically 30s-1min) when shaken.
LNF> This is known as the "Red LED Death", RLD, in the Rockbox community. I
LNF> have made some changes in the ATA driver in the daily builds that might
LNF> improve the situation, but it won't fix it 100%. You safest bet is to
LNF> get another hard drive.

LNF> Linus

Mit freundlichen Grüssen
RudiS