Subject: Re[4]: Hard Disk Question

Re[4]: Hard Disk Question

From: RudiS <mailmetorudiS_at_gmx.ch>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 17:09:53 +0200

Hallo roland,

Am Samstag, 8. Mai 2004 um 13:35 schrieben Sie:

r> hi!
r> i`m no mechanic - but - regarding the new 1.8" HDD models:

r> shouldn`t such HDDs be more robust than a 2.5" HDD in general ?
r> Less weight means less forces - so probably a tiny HDD is more
r> robust than a bigger HDD ?

This cannot be answered in generally, I think. The more tiny it is
maybe the more breakable is too, don't you think?

r> i don`t really know, but a quick comparison of datasheets tells
r> me, that regarding shock resistency , the 1.8" Models from hitachi even surpasses
r> that models with "The industry's highest operational shock rating
r> of up to 250Gs" (that is
r> http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/dk23fb/dk23fb.htm)

r> 1.8" (C4K40) is rated 300G / 1,000-1,200G/1ms non-operating shock
r> (http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/c4k40/c4k40.htm)

r> so i would tell, it`s probably the better device for portable mp3 players - regarding
r> mechanical impact.

I cannot by a 1,8" harddisk here in northern Chile to test it, but I
would do it. But still I think, that my problem has to do a bit with
the altitude, because at sea level I cannot remember having a lot of
problems like here. And my friends harddisk player doesn't play at all
here, so there must be a relationship in some ways.

r> please don`t take this as an advice to buy an 1.8" model - i didn`t test mine in rough
r> environment yet - so i don`t know if it is resistent to RLD problem.

Sure I understand what you mean.
BTW: Is the 1,8" HD smaller in height only or in other dimensions too?
In the JB you have to fix it a bit better than the old one right?

Best Regards
Rudi

r> regards
r> roland

r> ps:
>> into it and was blocking some of the push buttons. I was really
>> surprised about the bad soldering quality of that tiny machine. This I
r> I was even shocked! :D

r> ----- Original Message -----
r> From: "RudiS" <mailmetorudiS_at_gmx.ch>
r> To: "Rockbox development" <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
r> Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 4:43 PM
r> Subject: Re[2]: Hard Disk Question