Subject: Re: Hard Disk Question

Re: Hard Disk Question

From: Brian Wolven <brian.wolven_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 12:57:54 -0400

RudiS wrote:

> I cannot by a 1,8" harddisk here in northern Chile to test it, but I
> would do it. But still I think, that my problem has to do a bit with
> the altitude, because at sea level I cannot remember having a lot of
> problems like here. And my friends harddisk player doesn't play at all
> here, so there must be a relationship in some ways.

I don't think altitude would have any effect on most components of your
player, but it's possible that there is some softer material (elastomer
or something) somewhere that expands slightly when the ambient pressure
is reduced. If that thingy - whatver it is - expands enough, perhaps it
pushes something out of alignment or causes a short somewhere? It's hard
to imagine that any of the materials are that sensitive, though. Most
production and testing is done at lower altitudes, to be sure, so it's
not impossible. Where are you, the Atacama or someplace? Generally
speaking, electronics do fine in a total vacuum. When instruments are
lofted into orbit, they usually allow some time for everything to outgas
so that you don't have an arcing problem when a high voltage power
supply is turned on.