Subject: Re[2]: Hard Disk Question
From: RudiS (mailmetorudiS_at_gmx.ch)
Date: 2004-05-08

Hallo Brian Wolven,

Am Samstag, 8. Mai 2004 um 18:57 schrieben Sie:

BW> RudiS wrote:

>> I cannot by a 1,8" harddisk here in northern Chile to test it, but I
>> would do it. But still I think, that my problem has to do a bit with
>> the altitude, because at sea level I cannot remember having a lot of
>> problems like here. And my friends harddisk player doesn't play at all
>> here, so there must be a relationship in some ways.

BW> I don't think altitude would have any effect on most components of your
BW> player, but it's possible that there is some softer material (elastomer
BW> or something) somewhere that expands slightly when the ambient pressure
BW> is reduced. If that thingy - whatver it is - expands enough, perhaps it
BW> pushes something out of alignment or causes a short somewhere? It's hard
BW> to imagine that any of the materials are that sensitive, though. Most
BW> production and testing is done at lower altitudes, to be sure, so it's
BW> not impossible. Where are you, the Atacama or someplace?

Yes in the Atacama desert in a copper mine 4700m above sea level. One
other aspect seems to be the cooling. It's maybe ridiculous to think
about that for the tiny JB, but our company has installed here several
servers from DELL and the most of them got problems with their SCSI
hard disks as well. Since we installed an additional air condition in
the server cabinet we got rid of that problem finally.

But it is an interesting topic, right?
Lets see, next monday, when I do my last 10 days period in the mine,
I'll test the daily build which was recommended by Linus and further
more, I put my Jukebox in cotton wool to reduce the shock waves when I
am driving far from paved roads with my 4 x 4 Truck.

Nice Sunday

Rudi

BW> Generally
BW> speaking, electronics do fine in a total vacuum. When instruments are
BW> lofted into orbit, they usually allow some time for everything to outgas
BW> so that you don't have an arcing problem when a high voltage power
BW> supply is turned on.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen
RudiS

mailto:mailmetorudiS_at_gmx.ch