Subject: Re: Hard Disk Question

Re: Hard Disk Question

From: Brian Wolven <brian.wolven_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 15:38:50 -0400

RudiS wrote:
> Yes in the Atacama desert in a copper mine 4700m above sea level. One
> other aspect seems to be the cooling. It's maybe ridiculous to think
> about that for the tiny JB, but our company has installed here several
> servers from DELL and the most of them got problems with their SCSI
> hard disks as well. Since we installed an additional air condition in
> the server cabinet we got rid of that problem finally.

Hmm, yep, if the cooling depends on moving a certain mass of air past a
heat exchanger, then the reduced air pressure could put you over the
threshold where heat buildup becomes a problem. At 4700 m, your ambient
air pressure is only 51% of that at sea level, assuming a scale height
of ~7 km for the earth's atmosphere. You need to move air *twice* as
fast just to achieve the same amount of cooling. Perhaps if they
overclock the fan motors? =P

I think they keep airplane cabins at the equivalent of 10,000 ft, or
just a hair over 3,000 meters. You're 1-1/2 times that... always.

> But it is an interesting topic, right?
> Lets see, next monday, when I do my last 10 days period in the mine,
> I'll test the daily build which was recommended by Linus and further
> more, I put my Jukebox in cotton wool to reduce the shock waves when I
> am driving far from paved roads with my 4 x 4 Truck.

Well, good luck anyway. You probably qualify as the highest Archos owner
in the world (airline flights excluded) - at least in the elevation
sense. =)