Subject: RE: Can someone describe to me the exact procedure for rippingtapes? + option clutter

RE: Can someone describe to me the exact procedure for rippingtapes? + option clutter

From: <ajf_at_midmaine.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 09:33:54 -0400 (EDT)

> How interesting that this question comes up shortly after the
> discussion of option clutter.

Timed recording has been in the request queue for more than a year. It is
hardly fair to consider it "option clutter" now.

  Given readily
> available software like mp3DirectCut, I guess I don't really
> see the point in "split".

I use time split all the time and I would also like timed recording. I
record 12 - 16 hours from a radio, and I would prefer dealing with 12 one
hour files than one humongous 12 hour file. Also, if something goes wrong
in the ninth hour, at least I have 8 good files.

If I could say "record 12 1 hour files and then stop" I would be a happy man.

> But I do like to be able to start up a dubbing session and leave
> it to stop on its own, without chewing up the entire hard disk
> and creating a massive file to have to deal with later.
>
> Ah... User interface. That is the rub. To add new features,
> you have to add option clutter. Once somebody implements a
> "feature", we can't remove it, no matter how strange it seems,
> because somebody, somewhere, will have found a use for it.

Adding one more recording option to a specialty menu that doesn't get used
unless you are actually recording doesn't seem like clutter to me. But
one person's essentials are another's clutter, I suppose.

I wouldn't mind if there were some options that were settable only in the
config file, but this one probably should be in a menu.