Subject: Re: Idea for new feature

Re: Idea for new feature

From: Brian Wolven <brian.wolven_at_verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 10:04:52 -0400

Andre Roessel wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a 60 GB disk in my JBR20. That is such a huge amount of space that you can
> get lost on the road while searching for stuff to play. It would be nice to have a "Radio-
> mode". That would be something like a virtual radio station where you can vote for or
> against titles. At first, the whole disk is in the playlist. You start playing in "Radio mode"
> and the JBR plays songs randomly. While playing you can vote for or against the title
> being played by pressing certain keys. Maybe there is an unused byte in the MP3-
> header where we could store a corresponding value which determines the possiblity of
> this song being played. The higher the value, the more often this song should be
> played.
> Another idea for "Radio mode" would be the random play of certain music styles. For
> instance you could choose "Rock Radio" and only songs with the ID3-tag for "Rock"
> would be played. Furthermore you could determine a time range that would for instance
> create a "Station of the 80s" with only songs from that area etc..

You can use the id3browse program to create playlists indexed by
artist/album/genre/year/decade/etc. based on ID3 tag info. The
configuration is very flexible, and you can run it on your PC in just a
few seconds (or tens of seconds if you've got lots of tracks). Those
playlists would take care of most of this functionality for you without
requiring any changes in rockbox. Any feature that would require
searching through id3 tags and processing the results in some fashion
*on the Archos* is probably not going to be well received - too CPU and
disk intensive.