Subject: Re: Very confused about models/Battery type
From: Brent Geery (fasttimes_at_fasttimesatridgemonthigh.org)
Date: 2004-05-13

On Wed, 12 May 2004 12:48:22 -0700, "Michael T. Kupietz, wearing a
pointy hat" <reginald_at_kupietz.com> wrote:

> Wow. Actually though - [cranking up rationalization engine] - considering I
> only paid $182 after everything, and the V2 I won is definitely under
> warrantee, having to deal with the Li-Ion battery isn't *so* bad.

The LiIon batteries are fine-- as long as you never intend to need to
use it for a period past it's battery capacity. The only advantages
of NiMH is you can carry extra cells to cover any length of field use
you need, and replacement cells are cheaper.

> Just out of curiousity, here's something I haven't found any mention of:
> Li-Ion batts tend to die at 18 months or so. How long do NiMH tend to live?
> If they die also, maybe the V1 is not really that much more desirable, now
> that I know an online vendor who sells the right LiIons for the V2.

NiMH last longer than you will probably want to keep them. 2-3 years
might be a good guess of lifetime, assuming average (meaning somewhat
abused) treatment and use.

But, with NiMH battery capacity increasing all the time, you will
probably buy a new set every year or so, and use the old set as a
backup. I'm planning just this; getting new 2300mAh cells, moving my
current 1800mAh cells to backup position, and retiring my original
1500mAh archos supplied cells.

> What I
> was really afraid of was having to send it back to Archos for the eventual
> battery replacement.

It's a real concern, if you are thinking of keeping your JBRv2
long-term. But chances are, you will throw it away before you have
problems finding replacement LiIon batteries. I plan on keeping my v1
JBR for many more years, so I'm glad I have NiMH as a battery choice.

--
BRENT - The Usenet typo king. :)

Fast Times At Ridgemont High Info http://www.FastTimesAtRidgemontHigh.org Voted #87 - American Film Institute's Top 100 Funniest American Films