Subject: Re: Very confused about models/Battery type
From: Michael T. Kupietz, wearing a pointy hat (
Date: 2004-05-13

Thanks for the info. One question, out of curiosity... I was under the
impression that lithium ion batteries were supposed to be superior to NiMH.
So, if NiMH cells are less expensive, and they have a significantly longer
lifespan (2-3 years of regular use vs. 18 months), and NiMH cell capacity
is always increasing, why have so many electronic devices in the last few
years started using Li-Ion instead? Higher cost for shorter lifespan sounds
like a step backwards.

At 7:34 PM -0700 5/12/04, Brent Geery wrote:
>On Wed, 12 May 2004 12:48:22 -0700, "Michael T. Kupietz, wearing a
>pointy hat" <> wrote:
>> Wow. Actually though - [cranking up rationalization engine] -
>>considering I
>> only paid $182 after everything, and the V2 I won is definitely under
>> warrantee, having to deal with the Li-Ion battery isn't *so* bad.
>The LiIon batteries are fine-- as long as you never intend to need to
>use it for a period past it's battery capacity. The only advantages
>of NiMH is you can carry extra cells to cover any length of field use
>you need, and replacement cells are cheaper.
>> Just out of curiousity, here's something I haven't found any mention of:
>> Li-Ion batts tend to die at 18 months or so. How long do NiMH tend to
>> If they die also, maybe the V1 is not really that much more desirable,
>> that I know an online vendor who sells the right LiIons for the V2.
>NiMH last longer than you will probably want to keep them. 2-3 years
>might be a good guess of lifetime, assuming average (meaning somewhat
>abused) treatment and use.
>But, with NiMH battery capacity increasing all the time, you will
>probably buy a new set every year or so, and use the old set as a
>backup. I'm planning just this; getting new 2300mAh cells, moving my
>current 1800mAh cells to backup position, and retiring my original
>1500mAh archos supplied cells.
>> What I
>> was really afraid of was having to send it back to Archos for the
>> battery replacement.
>It's a real concern, if you are thinking of keeping your JBRv2
>long-term. But chances are, you will throw it away before you have
>problems finding replacement LiIon batteries. I plan on keeping my v1
>JBR for many more years, so I'm glad I have NiMH as a battery choice.
>BRENT - The Usenet typo king. :)
>Fast Times At Ridgemont High Info
>Voted #87 - American Film Institute's Top 100 Funniest American Films

The great thing is, over the internet, nobody knows I'm a dog.