Subject: Re: Very confused about models/Battery type
From: Andreas Stemmer (
Date: 2004-05-13

Michael T. Kupietz, wearing a pointy hat wrote:
> Thanks for the info. One question, out of curiosity... I was under the
> impression that lithium ion batteries were supposed to be superior to NiMH.
> So, if NiMH cells are less expensive, and they have a significantly longer
> lifespan (2-3 years of regular use vs. 18 months), and NiMH cell capacity
> is always increasing, why have so many electronic devices in the last few
> years started using Li-Ion instead? Higher cost for shorter lifespan sounds
> like a step backwards.

The big advantage of Li-Ion batteries ist the higher energy density. If
you compare NiMH and Li-Ion batteries, you'll notice that Li-Ions are
much smaller and lighter (provided that they are able to store the same
amount of energy). That's why the fm/v2 models are smaller and lighter
than the older archos models.