Subject: Re: Very confused about models/Battery type
From: Brent Geery (
Date: 2004-05-13

On Thu, 13 May 2004 03:33:50 -0700, "Michael T. Kupietz, wearing a
pointy hat" <> wrote:

> Thanks for the info. One question, out of curiosity... I was under the
> impression that lithium ion batteries were supposed to be superior to NiMH.
> So, if NiMH cells are less expensive, and they have a significantly longer
> lifespan (2-3 years of regular use vs. 18 months), and NiMH cell capacity
> is always increasing, why have so many electronic devices in the last few
> years started using Li-Ion instead? Higher cost for shorter lifespan sounds
> like a step backwards.

Better (much less) self discharge for LiIon, some types of LiIon can
be molded into any shape a manufacture wants, currently higher energy
density (more energy for the same size an weight.)

And of course, a way for the manufacture you lock you into buying
profitable proprietary replacement batteries, and a chance to force
you to upgrade to a new device. :)

BRENT - The Usenet typo king. :)

Fast Times At Ridgemont High Info Voted #87 - American Film Institute's Top 100 Funniest American Films