Subject: Re: [Off Topic] Re: important
From: Johan Vromans (jvromans_at_squirrel.nl)
Date: 2004-05-18

<romain.gardon_at_srbrest.com> writes:

> I don't know what this virus is, but I received hundreds of mails
> like this one "from" friends and people I know who weren't infected.

A common technique. Since many mail systems validate sender addresses,
virus mails need to have one. So they use an arbitrary entry of some
address book as sender. As a result, 99.9999999999999% of virus mails
are not coming from the sender that's in the mail.

<rant>
However, the manufacturers of modern anti-virus tools still insist on
sending a warning message (preferably with the complete virus massage
appended) to the sender to warn that the system was infected -- which
turns out to be false in 99.9999999999999% of the cases. This is the
major nuisance (and damage) that is caused by modern viruses, not the
virus itself.
</rant>

-- Johan