Subject: Re: rockbox fun - the "audiosette" making archos act as a datasette
From: [IDC]Dragon (
Date: 2004-05-24

> now i wonder: could there be a plugin for rockbox, doing that "PRG to
> Audio Conversion" on the fly - i.e. to "play a PRG File" - so
> pushing the "play button" on your archos is just like "press play on tape"
> ?

I think so, yes. A plugin has access to the playback, it can pump data which
has been prepared (see the metronome, chip8 or video plugin) or synthesized
on-the-fly (less feasible).

One way:
If the bitrate of this audio signal can be matched to mpeg frames, in a way
that a small integer amount of bits fall within a frame (384 samples for
layer 1, 1152 samples for layer 2+3), you could prepare frames for all the
combinations if it fits in the mp3 buffer and play them in an order defined
by the binary data.

Another way:
Generate mpeg-data on the fly and pump that, but you'd need a very
quick(-and-dirty?) kind of encoder.

A third way:
attach a little microcontroller to the remote pin (for physical
interfacing), and pretend to be the floppy rather than the datasette. A
counterpart plugin could maybe emulate the disk drive, accessing disk

NEU : GMX Internet.FreeDSL
Ab sofort DSL-Tarif ohne Grundgebühr: