Subject: Irate Newbie Question #1: Dropouts in MP3s after copying to Rockbox
From: Michael T. Kupietz, wearing a pointy hat (
Date: 2004-05-25

Irate newbie question #1...

Last night I spent several hours copying my 9GB MP3 collection from my
firewire drive to the Jukebox's HD.

On playback this morning, several mp3s which I know to be good had multiple
dropouts & "blank" silent spots. These were obviously part of the file,
because when I listened to them a second time the same dropouts occurred in
the same spots. These are 128kb/s CBR mp3s, transferred from an external
Firewire drive to the Rockbox via my iBook running OS X 10.3.3.

I used "Synchronize Pro X" to do the copy. That's the program I've relied
on for my regular incremental backups for years, and it's never caused me a
problem. (I don't want to use the Finder because I want to do update the
Archos easily whenever as I update the FW HD's "master copy" of the mp3
library, without recopying 9GBs of files.)

Anyone have any input as to what might have caused this/how to avoid it?

The great thing is, over the internet, nobody knows I'm a dog.