Subject: I.N.Q. #2. iTunes plugin: mostly useless, or totally useless?

I.N.Q. #2. iTunes plugin: mostly useless, or totally useless?

From: Michael T. Kupietz, wearing a pointy hat <reginald_at_kupietz.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 18:15:09 -0700

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the iTunes plugin to do anything
useful with your Archos's mp3s, like adding songs to playlists, editing ID3
tags, or renaming playlists once they're created?

I have tried all of the above and discovered within a minute or two that
the changes I made simply didn't happen. It acts like it did what you
wanted, and when you look again you see that it didn't, everything is still
like it was before you made your changes. I just discovered, after spending
close to a half hour getting together all sorts of playlists on the Archos
using the iTunes plugin, almost every playlist I had worked on was blank.
Same thing with editing ID3 tags. I filled in the artist & album tags for a
bunch of mp3s, then the next time I looked at them, the information I had
spent several minutes typing in simply wasn't there.

Once playlists are created, it won't let me rename them, either - I made a
typo when creating one, and when I caught it a moment later and tried to
correct it, the title immediately snapped back to how I had first typed it
in, no matter what I tried to change it to. I tested this numerous times,
it's not something having to do with filename length or unallowed
characters.

In addition to not moving or editing them in any way, the plugin also
doesn't play or copy MP3s from the Archos' hard drive.

Is there a point to this plugin? I've had the Archos for 3 days now and
overall I'm extremely happy with it, but can I get an second opinion on
this issue? Is trying to use the iTunes plugin to do anything that couldn't
already be done in the Finder a total waste of time?

Has anyone written a better plugin, that actually lets you work with the
Archos' files & playlists in iTunes? The current one is a damn shame,
because iTunes would be a natural choice for creating and adding songs to
playlists and for editing ID3 tags. I had really hoped to avoid doing it
all through the Archos' tiny interface.

Or if you are aware of better software for editing my mp3 tags and managing
my playlists on a Mac, please let me know. (As long as no one says,
"Musicmatch". :-) )

FWIW, I'm running OS X 10.3.3 on a 600 mHz dual-USB iBook.

Thanks,
Mike

--
The great thing is, over the internet, nobody knows I'm a dog.