Subject: RE: Irate Newbie Question #1: Dropouts in MP3s after copying to Rockbox
From: Fred Maxwell (rockbox_at_anti-spam.org)
Date: 2004-05-25

> Michael T. Kupietz wrote:

> Last night I spent several hours copying my 9GB MP3 collection from my
> firewire drive to the Jukebox's HD.
>
> On playback this morning, several mp3s which I know to be good had
> multiple dropouts & "blank" silent spots. These were obviously part
> of the file, because when I listened to them a second time the same
> dropouts occurred in the same spots. These are 128kb/s CBR mp3s,
> transferred from an external Firewire drive to the Rockbox via my iBook
> running OS X 10.3.3.

Well, not having one of those intuitive Macs ;) I'm at somewhat of a
disadvantage, but I'll try to assist with some basic debugging.

The first thing you have to do is determine if the file was corrupted in the
transfer. Choose one of the files that is causing a problem. If you do an
md5sum, crc32, or byte-by-byte compare between what's on the Firewire hard
drive to what's on the Jukebox HD, is it the same? If not, then the problem
is probably due to a file corruption during the transfer process or a drive
corruption problem in the Jukebox.

If the files are the same, then the problem is most likely due to the Archos
not being able to understand the file for some reason. If that's the case,
there are probably Mac programs which analyze MP3 files to verify that they
are in compliance with standards. I'd look for one of those programs and
use that against one of the problem files.

Regards,
  Fred Maxwell