Subject: Re: Irate Newbie Question #1: Dropouts in MP3s after copying to Rockbox
From: Bradley Alexander (
Date: 2004-05-25

On Monday 24 May 2004 22:02, Fred Maxwell wrote:
> > Michael T. Kupietz wrote:
> >
> > Last night I spent several hours copying my 9GB MP3 collection from my
> > firewire drive to the Jukebox's HD.
> >
> > On playback this morning, several mp3s which I know to be good had
> > multiple dropouts & "blank" silent spots. These were obviously part
> > of the file, because when I listened to them a second time the same
> > dropouts occurred in the same spots. These are 128kb/s CBR mp3s,
> > transferred from an external Firewire drive to the Rockbox via my iBook
> > running OS X 10.3.3.
> Well, not having one of those intuitive Macs ;) I'm at somewhat of a
> disadvantage, but I'll try to assist with some basic debugging.
> The first thing you have to do is determine if the file was corrupted in
> the transfer. Choose one of the files that is causing a problem. If you
> do an md5sum, crc32, or byte-by-byte compare between what's on the Firewire
> hard drive to what's on the Jukebox HD, is it the same? If not, then the
> problem is probably due to a file corruption during the transfer process or
> a drive corruption problem in the Jukebox.
> If the files are the same, then the problem is most likely due to the
> Archos not being able to understand the file for some reason. If that's
> the case, there are probably Mac programs which analyze MP3 files to verify
> that they are in compliance with standards. I'd look for one of those
> programs and use that against one of the problem files.

Excellent answer, Fred. Might I also suggest that if it is a problem in the
transfer (which is what it sounds like), you might use ssh to make sure the
transfer is clean. You don't need the encrypted link, but it does checksum
verification that a cp doesn't. Try using

scp <insert files here> localhost:/mnt/archos

> Regards,
> Fred Maxwell

- --
- --Brad
Bradley M. Alexander |
SysAdmin, Security Engineer | storm [at]
Debian/GNU Linux Developer | storm [at]
Key fingerprints:
DSA 0x54434E65: 37F6 BCA6 621D 920C E02E E3C8 73B2 C019 5443 4E65
RSA 0xC3BCBA91: 3F 0E 26 C1 90 14 AD 0A C8 9C F0 93 75 A0 01 34
If all you can see out of the window is ground that's going
round and round and all you can hear is commotion coming from the
passenger compartment, things are not at all as they should be.
                                        --Rules of the Air, #18
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)