Subject: feature ideas... plausible? desired?

feature ideas... plausible? desired?

From: Randall L Wolf <somahome_at_iname.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 20:22:08 -0500

I have three feature ideas, does anyone know if these are already
implemented, or already considered and discarded, in the works, etc?

1) Change the behavior of "play" key such that pressing play on a directory
auto-generates a playlist for that dir tree and begins playing it. The right
arrow already goes into the dir, no reason play couldn't be retasked for
this is there?

2) Utilize the user as a quick binary search processor. :) ... if you're
like me and I hope you're not... you have a huge list of directories. Use
"double-click" of up and down to skip half-way through the dir list from
previous position in the direction clicked. This would require being able to
double click, of course, I don't know if this is even possible. Also need to
"remember" previous position in the list for some time period then forget
that previous position after some time (to allow a new search to start) --
or some other means of clearing the previous position. Would this even work?
Would be very useful if it could be worked out. Binary search is fast...

3) Provide a feature to generate a playlist for a given dir tree based on
'genre' or other ID-3 tag values. This would be slow, it would have to
gather the list of possible values let you pick one, then generate the
playlist... but it would still be useful I think.

Do these sound plausible or desireable to anyone? Am I just old hat?
Probably all of these are already implemented and I am just to dumb to find
them. I find Rockbox to be... uh... thorough so far.

thanks